Resin Cast Vs. Dremel Tool

002

If I have Before photos, they are stored on another device and I am not inclined to look for them tonight. I started with a root stem & ball from some plant I killed in my back yard. I envisioned a scepter of sorts and began gluing on beads, rocks, and bits of glass. It soon became apparent to me that the root ball, where I glued all the different rocks, was brittle and would not always hold the rocks in place.

I decided that I should pour a resin cast around the root ball. I played with resin in high school: one of those kits my parents gifted me at Christmas that I trapped bugs and faded flower in, making standard little paper weights. I had an idea how this would work.

I bought a kit for resin cast and read the instructions. UGH. I’d have to do it outside, well-ventilated, warm day. I’d need a mold, but I didn’t have a readily available mold for the root ball.

SURELY aluminum foil would work.

Uh. No. Resin eats through aluminum foil. When I poured the resin, and it ate through the aluminum foil, I wrapped a second – and then a third – layer of aluminum foil in a desperate measure to save the cast. The third layer actually worked, but what I was left with was a resin cast of three layers of aluminum foil.

I do not have a photo of that disaster.

001

Many hours of sanding with my Dremel later, and all the aluminum foil left was in pockets of resin in the root ball.

My husband gifted the Dremel to me a couple of years ago. I’ve used it a little bit, but not really to the extent that I could, and I still had so much to learn about the different bits. This project created a crash course on how best to use the Dremel. I won’t bore you with the lessons, because that isn’t who I am. I can’t teach you how to do what I do because I stumble through what I do without reading the instructions first.

I can only tell you that I didn’t destroy my Dremel. I learned how to change out the different tools (buffers, sanders, stones, drills). I hauled the entire enterprise out to the back porch and yard and I kept the debris contained to a tarp beneath my feet.

See, my husband was out of town and I could do whatever I wanted. I didn’t have to hole up in the loft. I could make my mistakes with the Dremel without a male voice intoning some advice after the fact. Much as I love him, he’s not really a lot of help when I try to create.

005 007 006

I still have a lot to do on this. I need to polish the top part (where the resin is) and I need to re-do all the stone work along the handle.

016 017

This is how it is meant to be held. It has a comfortable grip. I will probably pull all the stone work on the stem and work – slowly, with small parts – resin to replace the E6000 glue.

015 014 013 012

I used olive oil to enhance the root ball encased in resin. It is very close to what I wanted to happen.

It took me an entire week to sand off the three layers of aluminum foil and resin. There’s probably over 100 man-hours in this project.

Next one will be approached very differently, but I can promise this: there *will* be more such projects, but they won’t be nearly as combersome as this one. This one was the live-and-learn project.

If you have no failures, you have no successes.